UDL Connect

Online Community of Practice for UDL Implementors

Information

Arts and UDL

Explore and share how the arts can provide multiple, rich, meaningful teaching and learning options to support comprehension, meaning-making, and engagement for everyone!

Members: 76
Latest Activity: Sep 26

abstract UDL checklist logopastel UDL checklist logocharcoal UDL checklist logoUDL checklist logopencil UDL checklist logofading UDL checklist logo

WAITING for UDL
Don Glass and Kim Willey created this animation to address key questions about UDL in the form of a dialog between two animated characters. The animation tools provide an engaging way to enliven the information through dramatic gesture, sound effects, and camera angles.

For captioning, language translation, and an interactive transcript, view on YouTube.

Waiting for UDL Script

Creative Commons LicenseWaiting for UDL by Don Glass and Kim Willey  is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License

Open Education Resources and Creative CommonsGet Up to Speed on UDL and Share Alike!

Check out some background information and resources for self-paced study of UDL and the arts. Use or re-mix these resources for your own professional learning courses, workshops, or professional learning communities!

Expert Lecture: Using Music to Explain Variability and UDL

An expert lecture and presentation of how the arts can provide rich meaningful options for engagement, representation, and action and expression. The media file is a record of David Rose's OSEP Project Directors Conference Keynote, July 2011 titled: From Bach to Lady Gaga: Music Lessons for Special Education.

UDL checklist logo Arts and UDL Case Studies

Share your own arts case stories on UDL Connect! Consider putting together a posting that highlights your implementation of UDL. Here are some example case studies and mini-websites.

Discussion Forum

UDL 2014 Institutes- join us at CAST!

Hi, Happy New Year!I wanted to let you all know of the 2014 CAST Institutes... hope you have a great year! Send up updates on your UDL activities.AllisonRegister Now: CAST’s 2014 UDL Institutes …Continue

Started by Allison Posey Jan 22.

Share Your Story Here!

Use this discussion forum to embed or upload your Arts and UDL stories:Summarize your unit of study (i.e., goals, assessment, methods, and materials)Explain how UDL was valuable in addressing an…Continue

Started by Don Glass Apr 16, 2013.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Arts and UDL to add comments!

Comment by Don Glass on July 2, 2012 at 7:11am
@Kemlyn: There will be an e-book version available in August. http://www.guilford.com/cgi-bin/cartscript.cgi?page=pr/hall3.htm&am...
Comment by Kemlyn Tan Bappe on June 30, 2012 at 10:03pm

I cannot wait to get a copy. Is there an electronic version of the book or only a paper text copy?

Comment by Jenea Rewertz-Targui on June 28, 2012 at 11:24am

That's great Don-- can't wait to get my hands on a copy! 

VSA Minnesota will be partnering with the Minnesota Department of Education to offer a one-day introductory workshop exploring the concept of the intersection between arts-based instruction and UDL.on August 23. Contact me if you would like more information: jenea@vsamn.org.

Comment by Don Glass on June 28, 2012 at 11:12am

COMING SOON from Guilford Press!

Universal Design for Learning in the Classroom: Practical Applications

Edited by Tracey E. Hall, Anne Meyer, and David H. Rose

Guilford Press book cover

Chapter 8: Universal Design for Learning and the Arts Option

by Don Glass, Kati Blair, and Patti Ganley

Comment by Shaqe Kalaj on May 27, 2012 at 7:46pm

Stephen,

This sounds fascinating. Please keep us up with more information. Shaqe

Comment by Stephen Yaffe on May 27, 2012 at 6:37pm

Hi Chrissie,

Why don't we meet for coffee while you're in NYC?

Comment by Chrissie Butler on May 25, 2012 at 9:02pm

Kia ora Stephen. Hi to you and everyone in this Arts and UDL group.

Is there anything like ASEC later in the year, maybe in July? I'm going to be in NYC between between July 13 to 17.

I'm on the Harvard UDL Reaching All Learners the week before and then going up to meet Prof Sharon Friesen in Calgary to chat and hatch a few more plans for my NZ context.

Am just trying to get a feel for who/what I might find out more about in NYC. The Guggenheim for All project sounds pretty interesting. 

If anyone has any ideas do let me know. Not keen to cram those few days but if I can shout a few lovely people lunch, a coffee, dinner that would be cool.

Comment by Carolyn Fox on May 25, 2012 at 5:18pm

Art is an essential human activity.  Yet how many of the greatest rock legends went to art school or studied art???  Societal contributions of art are sorely neglected in the race for material gain.  So thanks...

Comment by Stephen Yaffe on May 2, 2012 at 5:08pm

The Arts In Special Education Consortium (ASEC) in New York City is offering its yearly conference on May 4.  Part of ASEC’s Why Good Work Works series, its theme is “Structuring For Value, Implementing For All”.  As such, it will offer two UDL-related sessions.  One is a panel presentation featuring a long-term, multi-tiered, coached professional development program offered by the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum to its teaching artists and museum educators.  The project, Guggenheim For All, focuses on building the capacity and understanding of these cohorts in their work with inclusion classes and emphasizes UDL and differentiating instruction.

The other session is an Introduction to UDL.  Of note, it was sold out within days of registration opening.  Fortunately, the conference offers the venue twice.

Clearly, there is much interest in UDL among the varied constituencies attending the May 4 event – school and arts administrators, classroom teachers, arts teachers, teaching artists, museum educators, related service providers (speech and occupational therapists, social and mental health workers), paraprofessionals and parents.

This year’s conference is at capacity and registration is closed.

Comment by Education Team at VSA MA on April 6, 2012 at 7:39am

COOL Arts Integration Workshops using UDL as the foundation are being offered for FREE at VSA Massachusetts this May. We hope to see you there! 

Stay Connected

Get archived issues of the e-newsletter: UDL Focus

Go to archive

Follow us!

Facebook LogoTwitter Logo Diigo logoGoogle+ icon

Visitor Map

Locations of visitors to this page

© 2014   Created by National Center on UDL.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service