Information

BCPS Summer 2013 CPD Rodgers Forge PM

Universal Design for Learning and Next Generation Teaching and Learning

Members: 19
Latest Activity: Aug 5, 2013

Discussion Forum

Final Project and Reflection Post 15 Replies

Please post your final project and reflection inthis discussion forum.Continue

Started by Nancy Reed. Last reply by Amin Muhammad Aug 5, 2013.

Session 7 Discussion Forum 49 Replies

Session 7:  July 21-23 online:  Discussion Forum Read the following articles: Prensky, Marc  (2001).…Continue

Started by Nancy Reed. Last reply by Amin Muhammad Jul 31, 2013.

Session 4 Discussion Forum 56 Replies

Session 4:  July 7-9 online – Discussion ForumRead:  UDL Unplugged: The Role of Technology in UDL:  Rose, D., Gravel, J.…Continue

Started by Nancy Reed. Last reply by Noel Gibbons-O'Neill Jul 19, 2013.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of BCPS Summer 2013 CPD Rodgers Forge PM to add comments!

Comment by Charles Gagliano on July 23, 2013 at 8:22pm

I am a digital immigrant, as I was not immersed in digital hardware or software as a young child.  However, I feel that I have effectively embraced technology, and use it to my advantage when teaching.  One way that I do this is to use technology as much as possible at home and school.  Last year I purchased an ipad, and do so much with it now-mostly in the form of apps.  I experiment with lots of educational apps, and take my ipad to school and use it as a teaching tool-usually I project it onto the promethean, but students are forced to interact with the ipad through the device itself, as I am not aware of a way to hook up my ipad to the promethean so that it can be controlled at the board, and flipcharts are only windows-based, not OS-based (to my knowledge).  I am always looking for ways to incorporate tech into my lessons; for example this year I took popular song lyrics and used them to teach grammar, punctuation and writing (I had to make sure that the lyrics were appropriate).  Students really connected with this way of teaching the mechanics of writing.

Comment by Sharon Rike on July 23, 2013 at 10:22am

I am definitely a digital immigrant.  I did not have computers in school and had to take a typewriting class in high school.  I have found myself fighting the digital age every day even though my students and own children are immersed in it.  I am still upset over misspellings, grammar and lack of focus by my students and I am convinced that the high rate of children being diagnosed with ADD is due to the fact that they have so many gadgets at once.  I do have a smart phone and a desktop computer and I have definitely improved my digital and computer skills but I can't seem to keep up.  I think our children are definitely losing something by having everything right at their fingertips.  With one click, they are on their way when I used to have to wait for things in the mail or talk on the phone to order something.  Children lose social interaction skills and have no idea how to tell time or write a letter.  I think that it is a breakdown of basic skills and it is frustrating to me.  It is true that if we can't beat 'em , join 'em I guess but I still find it sad.  Technology has done a lot for us but has also robbed us of skills that are necessary for life.

Stay Connected

Get archived issues of the e-newsletter: UDL Focus

Go to archive

Follow us!

Facebook LogoTwitter Logo Diigo logoGoogle+ icon

Visitor Map

Locations of visitors to this page

© 2017   Created by National Center on UDL.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service