UDL Connect

Online Community of Practice for UDL Implementors

Information

Arts and UDL

Explore and share how the arts can provide multiple, rich, meaningful teaching and learning options to support comprehension, meaning-making, and engagement for everyone!

Members: 76
Latest Activity: on Friday

abstract UDL checklist logopastel UDL checklist logocharcoal UDL checklist logoUDL checklist logopencil UDL checklist logofading UDL checklist logo

WAITING for UDL
Don Glass and Kim Willey created this animation to address key questions about UDL in the form of a dialog between two animated characters. The animation tools provide an engaging way to enliven the information through dramatic gesture, sound effects, and camera angles.

For captioning, language translation, and an interactive transcript, view on YouTube.

Waiting for UDL Script

Creative Commons LicenseWaiting for UDL by Don Glass and Kim Willey  is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License

Open Education Resources and Creative CommonsGet Up to Speed on UDL and Share Alike!

Check out some background information and resources for self-paced study of UDL and the arts. Use or re-mix these resources for your own professional learning courses, workshops, or professional learning communities!

Expert Lecture: Using Music to Explain Variability and UDL

An expert lecture and presentation of how the arts can provide rich meaningful options for engagement, representation, and action and expression. The media file is a record of David Rose's OSEP Project Directors Conference Keynote, July 2011 titled: From Bach to Lady Gaga: Music Lessons for Special Education.

UDL checklist logo Arts and UDL Case Studies

Share your own arts case stories on UDL Connect! Consider putting together a posting that highlights your implementation of UDL. Here are some example case studies and mini-websites.

Discussion Forum

UDL 2014 Institutes- join us at CAST!

Hi, Happy New Year!I wanted to let you all know of the 2014 CAST Institutes... hope you have a great year! Send up updates on your UDL activities.AllisonRegister Now: CAST’s 2014 UDL Institutes …Continue

Started by Allison Posey Jan 22.

Share Your Story Here!

Use this discussion forum to embed or upload your Arts and UDL stories:Summarize your unit of study (i.e., goals, assessment, methods, and materials)Explain how UDL was valuable in addressing an…Continue

Started by Don Glass Apr 16, 2013.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Arts and UDL to add comments!

Comment by Don Glass on March 23, 2012 at 2:49pm

Get Your Alpha Waves ON!

Robert Seigel interviews Jonah Lehrer about his new book, 'How Creativity Works': It's All In Your Imagination

All Things Considered, NPR, March 19, 2012

Interview Highlights
Transcript

Comment by Don Glass on February 20, 2012 at 9:36pm

Ah-ha! Waiting for UDL part 2! I was actually just talking about using interviews with teaching artists as the script for another xtranormal animation. This would be the perfect container and focus. Thanks Anne!

Comment by anne meyer on February 20, 2012 at 9:29pm

Hey Don and Kim - This is really excellent!

Thank you so much for putting this together. I especially appreciate the way you made it clear that UDL emerged from the margins but pertains to all --

How about a sequel or next episode with the female character explaining more fully how her work in the arts aligns with UDL?  I think some specific examples would be really helpful for all teachers. you could argue that the arts themselves are in the margins with a very cognitive-centric society - how about pulling practices and lessons from the "arts margins" into general education in a concrete way???

Thanks again

Anne

Comment by Stephen Yaffe on February 20, 2012 at 8:57pm

Seems to me that anything that turns the ‘Subjects’ (Science, Math, English Social Studies, etc) back into the verbs they initially were – ways of making sense of the world – weds creativity with content.  Art making – another highly meaning-making endeavor – is essentially (not to trivialize it) problem based learning on steroids, inquiry requiring full presence so one can take things on their own terms.  This responsiveness and building from the inside out is why, to me, the Arts ARE UDL.  And why the Arts can teach us so much about UDL and how to be UDL.

Comment by kerry armstrong on February 20, 2012 at 6:56pm
How about Tony Buzan and Mindmapping? Note taking and recording using pictures and colour coding! We use this a lot with our Inquiry and Project based learning AND add to that Inspiration software!

http://www.inspiration.com/
Comment by Stephen Petrucci on February 20, 2012 at 11:21am

Recently listened to Rosenstock on the High Tech High school philosophy in San Diego.  It struck me that their Project Based Learning approach is really the intersection of the Arts with Science.  Creativity meets content...

Comment by Don Glass on February 20, 2012 at 10:23am

The Kennedy Center has recently launched a series of articles on how arts integration aligns with major trends in education including Universal Design for Learning. Check out their spin on the arts and UDL!

Comment by Stephen Petrucci on December 10, 2011 at 4:55pm

Just posted a blog on the importance of school bands and the link to UDL

Band is UDL!

Comment by Stephen Petrucci on December 7, 2011 at 11:27am

I love the Bach visual representation that Don just profiled.  Here's a great link that demonstrates dance used to present PhD theses!  Dance your PhD.

Comment by anne meyer on November 30, 2011 at 2:07pm

Hi all

i am just joining this and i don't quite know what it's about but i love the title!

looking forward to learning more!

Stay Connected

Get archived issues of the e-newsletter: UDL Focus

Go to archive

Follow us!

Facebook LogoTwitter Logo Diigo logoGoogle+ icon

Visitor Map

Locations of visitors to this page

© 2014   Created by National Center on UDL.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service